I’ve been reading this book by James Clear since the start of my chemotherapy, and it accompanied me through all the good and bad (rather painful) times.😥 As a matter of fact, this is my favourite book of 2022🤤😙. Since I often get admitted to the hospital, it gave me plenty of time to read and strategize my life, especially my habit. Before I get into the nitty gritty of this book, here’s a picture of me reading it when I was hospitalized because of the side effect of cancer.
Alright now, enough about me. Let’s get to know this book better.
👀 The Book in 3 Sentences:
- This book offers a practical framework for building good habits👼 and breaking bad ones. 😈
- Making small changes in our daily routines can lead to significant improvements in our lives over time, and he provides a step-by-step guide to creating lasting habits.
- This book can change your life weyh, like you can achieve your greatest goals in life by mastering your habit.
⏩ Quick Summary:
Have you ever found yourself stuck in a rut of bad habits and just can’t seem to shake them off? Let me introduce you to the life-changing book “Atomic Habits” by James Clear. This book will make you see habit-forming in a whole new light and have you laughing your way to better habits in no time.🤣🤣 Like for real, this book is the OG of creating the life you wanted.
🗿 Who Should Read it:
Anyone who wants to improve their daily habits, achieve their goals, and make positive changes in their life should read this book. It’s suitable for people of all ages and backgrounds. So it doesn’t matter if you’re a student, an entrepreneur, or just someone who wants to make meaningful changes in your life, Atomic Habits will offer you valuable insights and actionable advice that can help you achieve your goals. Sounds like a great book right? 😙 Let me say this: “IT IS A GREAT BOOK THAT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE, FORE REAL”
😎 How the Book Changed Me
- I’ve built a morning running habit and I’m loving it.🏃💨
- With each passing day, I know I am one step closer to my goals? Why? Because I create a habit surrounding the things that will help me achieve my goals.
- Also my self confidence grew haha 😝😝 I’m serious.
The Main Highlight of Atomic Habit:
- 🏆 The 1% Rule: The book emphasizes the power of small changes and encourages readers to focus on getting just 1% better each day. Over time, these small improvements can lead to significant results. For example, if you’re trying to improve your health, you could start by walking for just 5 minutes each day and gradually increase the time by 1% each day. Like for me, I started with just 30meter which took less than 1 minutes. Easy.
- 🎯 Habit Stacking: This strategy involves linking new habits to existing ones to make them easier to remember and stick to. For example: If you want to start reading more, you could stack it onto your existing habit of drinking coffee in the morning and read for 5 minutes while you enjoy your coffee.
- 🧪 Cue, Craving, Response, Reward: The book explains the habit loop, which consists of four stages: cue, craving, response, and reward. Understanding this loop can help you identify and change your habits. For example, if you have a habit of eating junk food when you’re stressed (cue), try replacing the craving with a different response, such as going for a walk or doing a quick meditation practice.
- 🤝 Social Environment: The book emphasizes the importance of surrounding yourself with people who support your goals and share your values. Like for example, if you want to exercise more, join a fitness class or find a workout buddy who can keep you accountable and motivated. Yeap, I joined the gym because I know I will get more workout there instead of from home, where I tend to want to relax like a lazy Snorlax.
- 📈 Tracking Progress: Clear suggests that tracking your progress can help you stay motivated and see the impact of your efforts over time. For example, if you’re trying to save money, track your expenses and review them regularly to see where you can cut back and how much you’re saving each month.
❤️️ My Favorite Quote from the book:
“You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems.” Fuiyohhhhhhhh.
“Habits are the compound interest of self-improvement.”
“It is your commitment to the process that will determine your progress.”
“Every action you take is a vote for the type of person you wish to become.”
“The most effective way to change your habits is to focus not on what you want to achieve, but on who you wish to become.”
“The purpose of setting goals is to win the game. The purpose of building systems is to continue playing the game.”
“The quality of your life depends on the quality of your habits.”
“The secret to getting results that last is to never stop making improvements.”
“Small changes often appear to make no difference until you cross a critical threshold. The most powerful outcomes of any compounding process are delayed.”
“Success is the product of daily habits—not once-in-a-lifetime transformations.”
“Your habits are a reflection of your identity.”
“The greatest threat to success is not failure but boredom.”
“The true measure of progress is not in achieving your goals but in how much closer to them you are today compared to yesterday.”
“Mastery requires practice. But it doesn’t have to be a chore. It can be something you enjoy.”
“The more pride you have in a particular aspect of your identity, the more motivated you will be to maintain the habits associated with it.”
“It’s not about finding the perfect strategy, it’s about having a strategy at all.”
“The goal is not to achieve success but to become the type of person who can achieve success.”
“The purpose of habits is to make difficult things easy and routine.”
“The difference between good and great is often the willingness to do the little things that others won’t do.”
“True behavior change is identity change.”
- I think I highlighted so much sentences here because they are just so good and makes so much practical senses. You’re so awesome la James Clear. Anyway, my highlighter is on fire and I’m not even done reading the book 🤣🤣🤣
Haiya, need me to say it again meh? (In Uncle Roger’s voice 🤣) Ok lah, in conclusion, and long story short, Atomic Habits is a book that even Uncle Roger would approve of! By teaching us to focus on small, incremental changes in our habits, we can develop the skills and mindset necessary to achieve our goals and create a fulfilling life. 📚🚀
And just like Uncle Roger’s famous critique of Jamie Oliver’s egg fried rice🤣🤣🤣(sorry Jamie, but not sorry because your egg fried rice is too british), we need to be mindful of the steps we take and the ingredients we use in our habit formation. With the right approach, we can create habits that are as delicious and satisfying as a perfectly cooked plate of egg fried rice. 🍚🥢
So let’s get out there and start cooking up some atomic habits! With a little practice and the right mindset, we can all become masters of our own lives, and maybe even earn Uncle Roger’s coveted approval. Happy habit-forming! 🎉👨🍳